How To Book a Party
What is U’Paint N’Party?
U’Paint N’Party is a portable, private painting party business that serves the Hampton Roads, Southside and Williamsburg Virginia area. We supply all of the art supplies and bring the painting party to your private location. We do not host public parties.
Why hire us?
Because we travel to YOU! We can meet in your dining room or another location of your choice such as a worship center, school, restaurant, club house or even your garage. Since you are not meeting at a public local bar you will save money on food and the entire family, including the kids, can paint together. You can dress how you want, be as obnoxious as you want and even go barefoot or throw a pajama party! The best part is that you will be safe and surrounded only by the people you that know.
Also, we are a small family business located in Newport News, Virginia, not a huge chain. I have 20 years of experience teaching painting classes of this nature, and currently teach fine art painting and drawing at the Charles Taylor Arts Center. See my internationally award winning studio work on my portfolio web site at www.emilychristoff.com. Running this business has allowed me to do fine art shows and live successfully as a working fine artist. By hiring us you are supporting a local artist and a small family business, thank you!
How do I book a private U’Paint N’Party event?
1. Contact us at least two weeks in advance to see if we are available to meet on your selected day. (757-856-3855 is a land line in my home office. upaintnparty@aol is our e-mail.) Although we have a team of instructors, Saturdays often book up months in advance, so don't wait too long. You have 3 types of parties to select from. You may book a standard private party, a school / worship party or you may host a fundraiser. See below for pricing information.
2. Once we have decided on a date, make the $40 deposit through the Paypal link below or snail mail us a check. This deposit is applied towards the total cost of your party. We will send a confirmation e-mail when it is received. If you pay by Groupon you still must make a deposit. It will be refunded to you after your event. Your date is not secured with out this deposit and confirmation email!
3. We will contact you a day or so before your event to make sure that everything is ready. If your guest count increases by more than 5 people we must be notified at least a week in advance so that we can purchase extra supplies.
4. PARTY TIME! Please ask your guests to arrive at least 15-30 minutes before the painting start time, especially if you are serving food. Collect their payment at the door, then pay us at the end of the party in one payment. Please have your tables covered with disposable table clothes and chairs set up one hour in advance of your painting start time so that we can set up as soon as we arrive.
If you cancel your event 7 days before the date of your party we will issue you a full deposit refund. If you give at least 48 hours’ notice of cancellation we will issue you credit to be used towards a future party. If you cancel without notice the deposit will not be refunded. If we need to cancel due to bad weather we will reschedule your party using the same deposit.
We ALWAYS have specials for private parties, so please contact us by email or phone for current ticket prices before making a private party purchase or purchasing tickets in advance through a coupon web site.
We do not discus the cost of your tickets with your guests, so you may charge more than this cost to help pay for additional costs of your party if you wish. Your $40 deposit will be deducted from this final payment. Please keep in mind that our instructor does not carry change.
We have an 8 guest minimum for all parties. If you have less than 8 guests we can still hold the event, but will be required to charge for a total of 8 guests. We can't host parties outdoors.
- You can hold this party at a restaurant/bar if you prefer. Many guests will rent a club house or conference room if you have more than you can fit in your house.
- School and Worship Centers $18
- If you are hosting an event at a school or worship center, the cost of the tickets are discounted to $18. We do not accept Groupon tickets or offer seasonal specials for school and worship centers since they are already discounted.
- If you are hosting a fundraiser the cost of the tickets are discounted to $17. There is a minimum of 20 painters to receive this cost. If you have less than 20 guests we can still hold the event but will charge the current standard price of a private party, which is $20. We do not accept Groupon for fundraisers since they are already discounted. You may charge your guests whatever price you wish and the difference is applied towards your cause. Most fundraisers charge their guests around $30 or $40, and include food.
- If you would like us to travel over 30 miles from our home office which is near the corner of Jefferson Ave and Denbigh in Newport News, or drive to the Southside through the HRBT or through the MMBT there will be an additional $40 charge for a long distance travel fee. Long distance usually includes Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake and Norfolk. We only accept long distance parties on Saturdays and Sundays.
- You are required to pay the deposit to hold your date, using the paypal link below or snail mailing us a check to our home at the address below, This refundable deposit will be applied to your party.
- Commission a Special Canvas $40
- If you don't see something you love in our gallery, You may commission us to make something special just for your group. The cost to commission a special painting is $40 and must be ordered at least 2 weeks before your event and paid for in advance at the link below.
- Late guests and late start fee $40
- If you think you might need to delay your painting start time by more than 30 minutes you will not be charged a late start fee if you can give us a few hours notice. If however you request that we start later than 30 minutes from the scheduled time, or if you do not have your tables, disposable table cloths and chairs set up before we arrive causing us to start more than 30 minutes late, you will be charged the late fee. We suggest telling your guests to arrive earlier than the start time. If they arrive more than 30 minutes after we start we will start with out them and they may not be able to paint with us after we start. (Late arrivals are highly disrupting to the rest of the class since the instructor has to stop teaching and get them caught up.)
- Is there an additional show up fee?
- No. Other than the possible long distance travel fee, or the very rare late start fee, we do not charge extra to party with you.
Are you on Groupon?
Yes, but only for private home parties with a maximum of 7 Groupon tickets per event. Some restrictions apply so please call us at 757-856-3855 before purchasing tickets in advance on Groupon. We will charge you the same price as your Groupon ticket at the door for additional guests.
Does the paint stain?
Yes. Wear old clothes. If you have hardwood floors it will clean off, but if you have carpet please consider covering it with a drop cloth or disposable table clothes. The paint will come out of carpet and clothing if you wash it before it dries. You are responsible for the drop clothes and table cloths.
Do you need to have artistic ability to host a U’Paint N’Party event?
Nope! You only need to have a positive attitude and be able to hold a paint brush. We will show you step by step how to create your painting so you and your friends can just relax and have a great time.
What do you get for the cost of the ticket?
For one ticket you may create one large 16 x 20” acrylic canvas. You also get to keep the memories of painting with your friends and family, and that will last forever!
What days are available to host a party?
We are available any hours at any location on weekends. On week days we can't travel long distance, but will accept local parties. We book up very far in advance, so please book your party early by calling or emailing.
What materials does U’Paint N’Party provide for each party?
We provide table easels, canvases, acrylic paints, palettes, water cups, brushes, aprons, and paper towels. We do not charge extra for the bad jokes.
What do you provide when you host a private party?
Mostly we require running water, decent lighting, tables covered in disposable table clothes and chairs. (Remember that the tables covered in disposable table clothes and chairs must be set up prior to our arrival in order for your party to start on time.)
Does each guest get to paint a different acrylic painting?
All guests paint the same canvas so that we are able to provide a concentrated, step-by-step instruction and individual attention. Even though you are all doing the same painting we encourage artistic license, and no two paintings ever turn out the same. For most paintings you get to choose your own colors. Check out some group photos on our Facebook page to see the variety of results.
How long does the private party usually last?
You should plan a total of around 4 hours max. Your instructor will arrive about 45 minutes- to 1 hour in advance to set up. The class itself usually takes around two hours to 2 and a half hours. When everyone is done we clean up in about a half hour.
Do you have a maximum amount of guests you can allow at a party?
If you have the space we have the supplies! Plan to have room for your guests to get in and out of their seats and for the instructor to walk around to assist your guests. Each paint setting requires about 3 feet of table space.
Is there an age requirement to attend a party?
If the child is under the age of 8 we only ask that they sit next to an adult who will take responsibility for their behavior and give a helping hand. The adult is not required to paint their own canvas. We ask that toddlers and small animals are not in the room during the party for safety reasons. The paint is toxic and your instructor is a klutz who tends to trip over small objects.
We look forward to painting with you. Thank you for supporting a locally owned family business!